Anxiety affects everyone from time to time, but for some people, it’s a chronic, debilitating disorder. Managing severe anxiety is tricky because one of the most common treatments, psychotherapy, may not provide results for months. Another management technique is to take anxiety medication, but this can have serious side effects. That’s why more people are turning to acupuncture therapy for anxiety treatment.
You may think of acupuncture as a way to treat physical pain, but it’s also effective at relieving emotional and mental distress associated with anxiety disorder. Acupuncture works faster than psychotherapy, with noticeable results after the first few visits. Treatment also doesn’t involve pharmaceuticals or the side effects that come with them. Learn more about how acupuncture works for stress and anxiety relief to help you decide if this treatment is right for you.
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture has a rich history dating back thousands of years in traditional Chinese medicine. Even so, this “alternative medicine” has only taken off in the Western world over the past 50 years. Acupuncture involves inserting tiny sterile needles through the skin at strategic points to balance the flow of Qi, or energy, through the meridians of the body.
Why Does Acupuncture Work for Anxiety?
There is no single cause of anxiety disorder and, therefore, no single solution. But acupuncture has been shown to manage anxiety with moderate effectiveness when performed by an experienced acupuncturist. It works by regulating the body’s chemical balance, similar to what anxiety medication does, but without introducing synthetic substances. This allows you to regain control of external circumstances that bring on stress and anxiety.
10 Reasons to Try Acupuncture for Stress and Anxiety Relief
Acupuncture can be a game-changer for people struggling to manage their anxiety. If you’re looking for a natural form of stress and anxiety relief, here are the top 10 reasons to give acupuncture a try:
- Acupuncture works: Numerous meta-analyses have verified the effectiveness of acupuncture in lowering stress and anxiety. To learn more, check out this 2021 analysis of 20 studies, this 2018 review of 13 studies, and this comparison study from 2013.
- Acupuncture is a safe alternative to anxiety medication: Acupuncture may reduce or even eliminate the need to take prescription drugs. It’s most effective when used as one component of a holistic anxiety management approach that may also include massage therapy and relaxation techniques.
- Acupuncture is relaxing: The prospect of having needles inserted into your skin may not seem appealing at first, but most patients report feeling calm and relaxed during acupuncture sessions. Many people even fall asleep.
- Acupuncture offers fast results: Unlike psychotherapy, acupuncture doesn’t take months to provide results. Short-term anxiety may respond to the very first calming acupuncture session. Even with chronic anxiety, just a few acupuncture treatments start to make a difference.
- Acupuncture releases endorphins and serotonin: These hormones relieve pain and make you feel happy. At the same time, acupuncture also reduces stress hormones like cortisol and decreases inflammation naturally.
- Acupuncture regulates the autonomic nervous system: This system controls involuntary processes like your heartbeat, blood pressure, digestion, and respiration. Regulating these functions makes your body operate more smoothly.
- Acupuncture is safe during pregnancy: If you’re expecting, rest assured that it’s safe for you to receive acupuncture treatment. The same can’t be said of anxiety medication.
- Acupuncture has few risks and adverse effects: The side effects, such as bruising and dizziness, are minimal and uncommon. Chances are you prefer these temporary outcomes to the serious side effects of prescription anxiety drugs, such as sleeplessness, fatigue, slow mental functioning, and addiction.
- Acupuncture appointments change your mindset: Unlike popping a pill and soldiering on, attending an acupuncture appointment lets you take time out to naturally fix your stress-inducing body chemistry. Maintaining a consistent treatment schedule is your chance to reprioritize your needs and put yourself first.
- Acupuncture increases your overall health: You’ll get more than just a mood boost from each treatment—you’ll also improve your mental clarity, boost health and wellness, and tackle underlying pain while you’re at it.
Schedule Acupuncture Treatment in Sherwood Park
All Deep Massage & Wellness Clinic has served residents of Sherwood Park and the surrounding areas since 2007. Every acupuncturist on our team is formally trained and certified for your peace of mind. Thanks to our dedication and experience, we’re confident we can relieve your stress and anxiety and help you reach your other wellness goals.
When you’re ready to schedule your first appointment, please complete our online contact form or call us at 780-416-0659 to speak with a member of our professional acupuncture team.
Can Acupuncture Relieve Sciatica Pain?