Massage therapy offers many physical and psychological benefits. If you’ve ever had a professional massage, you can attest to this yourself. But this begs the question—how often should you get a massage?
An occasional massage to relax and relieve stress is just right for some people. But others find that regular sessions are necessary to manage pain or muscle tension. Determining how often to get a massage also depends on the type you need.
Can You Get Too Many Massages?
There are no standard guidelines for the number of massages you can get per month. In general, it’s safe to have a professional massage as often as three times per week, or even once a day in some cases. Still, this depends on your health and what you hope your treatments will achieve.
Explain your situation to a massage therapist for a personalized recommendation. In the meantime, use the information here to help you decide how often you should get a massage.
What Do You Need?
Massages for chronic pain or injury treatment are typically more frequent, while massages for pampering and relaxation can occur less often.
After an injury, your therapist may recommend massages once or twice a week throughout your recovery. You may also be given stretches to do at home. If you have chronic pain from an underlying condition, your therapist may recommend visits once a week or twice a month. With both chronic and acute pain, your therapist may taper off your sessions as your muscles begin relaxing and healing.
Combating high stress is just as important for your health as treating high blood sugar or high cholesterol. If you have a stressful job, you may benefit from getting a massage once or twice a month. The resulting stress relief minimizes the adverse effects stress hormones can have on your body and mind.
Athletic Performance and Recovery
Athletes benefit from occasional massages throughout the season. If a big event like a marathon is approaching, you may want to increase your frequency to once a week or twice a month to get your body ready. Competitive athletes may need up to two sessions per week to stay in top form. Regular massages also help athletes recover faster from sports injuries. A therapist may recommend once-a-week visits that gradually taper off as the soft tissues heal.
What Type of Massage Do You Want?
Some massage therapy techniques are more strenuous than others. This affects how often you should receive them.
- Deep tissue massage involves slow, forceful strokes that reach deep layers of muscle and connective tissue. It’s safe to get a deep tissue massage daily, weekly, or a few times a month as needed to manage pain.
- Cupping massage uses suction cups to stimulate the lymphatic system and improve circulation. Treatment may begin with visits two to three times per week, tapering off over time as your body heals.
- Myofascial release is a full-body massage that improves musculoskeletal mobility and eases pain. Depending on the circumstances, your therapist may recommend sessions twice a week, once a week, or every other week.
- RAPID NeuroFascial Reset addresses neurological sources of pain and tension. Sessions may occur weekly and last a few months with the intent of restoring mobility and relieving chronic pain.
- Prenatal massage contributes to a healthy mental state and reduced leg and back pain during pregnancy. For safety reasons, this massage therapy technique does not involve deep tissue work. To avoid over-stimulating mother and baby, limit prenatal massage to 60-minute sessions no more than once a week.
- Reflexology clears blocked energy channels using kneading and rubbing motions on the feet. Weekly sessions for four to six weeks are a good start, followed by maintenance visits once or twice a month.
- Relaxation massage is all about feeling pampered. It’s safe to get this massage as often as you want, but many people find once or twice a month to be just right.
What Can You Afford?
Some people can’t justify the cost of regular massages. That’s why All Deep Massage & Wellness Clinic strives to make massage therapy as affordable as possible with our massage maintenance packages. Get 10 x 60-minute massages for $855, regularly $950. That’s 10 massages for the price of nine!
You might also be interested in our mini massage maintenance package. Get 5 x 60-minute massages for $427.50, regularly $475—a 10% savings. Packages for 30- and 45-minute sessions are also available. Check it out along with the other great deals on our promotions page.
Schedule a Massage in Sherwood Park
All Deep Massage & Wellness Clinic has served residents of Sherwood Park and the surrounding areas since 2007. We require every massage therapist who joins our team to have at least 2200 hours of formal training. Thanks to our dedication and experience, we’re confident we can provide outstanding wellness care based on your needs and goals. To schedule your next massage, please contact us at 780-416-0659, or book an appointment online.
Can Acupuncture Help with Nerve Pain?
What is RAPID NeuroFascial Reset?